"The CEU Democracy Institute strives to enable the renewal and strengthening of democratic and open societies through world-class research, collaboration across academic and professional disciplines, teaching and learning via the free exchange of ideas, and public engagement on a local, regional, and global scale."
- CEU Democracy Institute mission statement
The CEU Democracy Institute strives to:
- Explore democracy not just as a set of abstract ideas but as a way of life practiced, perceived, and accessed by citizens, activists, and politicians.
- Foster collaboration among a dynamic international network of scholars and practitioners, with a wholly comparative approach to topics of both regional and global significance.
- Bring together some of CEU’s best minds and luminaries from around the world, with a special emphasis on knowledge emerging from the Global South.
- Form research teams comprised of recognized thought leaders on political science, gender, public policy, history, sociology, philosophy, law, economy, network and data science, climate change and cognitive science to produce new cross-disciplinary knowledge.
- Contribute to new transnational forms of teaching about democracy at universities globally.
- Connect with citizens and policy makers alike to drive a more integrated approach to understanding democracy.
- Serve as a high-level convener, hosting distinguished academics and practitioners for sabbaticals, short-term fellowships, and public dialogues to expand visibility and reach.
- Engage the public in an open exchange of ideas and host public debates, performances, and conferences at CEU’s Budapest and Vienna campuses and with partners worldwide.