The Istvan Bibo Free University (Bibo Istvan Szabadegyetem) brings together Hungarians of differing viewpoints and different generations to discuss the social, economic and political problems of Hungary and the European Union in an atmosphere of mutual respect. With courses and online and offline public debates, the Free University aims for political diversity among lecturers and audience alike.
The program is named after István Bibó, an important Hungarian thinker whose personality and ideas connected various opposition circles together before 1989, during the era of socialism. The CEU Democracy Institute hosts, supports, promotes, and provides lecturers for the Free University’s courses and events.
The Free University offers the following spring courses (details are available via the links, in Hungarian):
- Images from the other Europe
- Why now? Being a victim in Hungary, 2022
- Women and Christianity
- Courage of thought in Budapest
- The wide-ranging migration. Stories from Berlin
- The meaning, impact and current methodological problems of political opinion polls