The Democracy Institute (DI) at the Central European University invites applications from external scholars for small research grants of up to 15,000 Euros to be spent over a maximum of 12 months. During the grant period, the grantee is expected to develop a larger research project and submit it for external funding. The research project should fit with the interdisciplinary research activities on democracy carried out at DI’s Workgroups (for the scope of our research please see Research | CEU Democracy Institute).
Eligibility, expectations, conditions:
- Academic staff not currently employed in a full-time permanent position by CEU are eligible to apply;
- Academics with a PhD at any rank may apply;
- If the grant is awarded, the awardee is expected to participate in the intellectual life of the DI and the designated workgroup within;
- The grantee will receive mentoring and support with the grant development from DI researchers and – if in residence - can use the CEU Budapest campus facilities during the grant period;
- The grantee is required to designate his/her institutional affiliation with CEU DI – along with other relevant institutional affiliation - on publications which result from this period of research;
- It is expected that the location and host of any future grant resulting from this research development is the CEU Democracy Institute, potentially in some form of collaboration/partnership with other institutions.
The research proposal should contain the following information:
- brief narrative proposal (max 4 pages) detailing the project you intend to work on, any preparation already undertaken, describing how this project and the intended future grant resulting from this work connects with the research done at DI’s chosen Workgroup, planned timeframe/duration and research stages, intended avenues of application for external funding that can be expected from this research development work;
- CV of the principal investigator and any RA you already know is to be involved;
- estimated budget needs of the project (e.g. short-term assignment fees for any research staff/assistants; fieldwork costs, other);
Deadline for submitting a proposal: Jan 15, 2022
Research grants are to start 1 March 2022 at the earliest, but no later than 1 May 2022.
All material should be submitted to Lilla Jakobs: jakobsl[at]ceu.edu