The Court of Justice of the EU has often taken an active role in developing case law on gender discrimination in relation to social security, a role that it has not played to the same extent where discrimination on the ground of racial or ethnic origin is concerned, our Research Fellow Sarah Ganty and Karin de Vries write in the latest CEU DI Working Paper.
Inequalities and Democracy
The workgroup explores contemporary politics of inequality in Europe and beyond. We examine political and policy formations that address and shape inequality mechanisms and social hierarchies based on gender, class, ethnicity, race, ability, and human mobility and their intersections. Research in the workgroup pursues case based as well as comparative inquiries that connect these wider equality, social justice, and social policy agendas with outstanding democracy, de- and re-democratization puzzles. Research addresses among others:
- old and new agendas in human rights based emancipatory struggles in times of crisis and crisis management;
- the challenges and potentials of civil society participation in facilitating more inclusive democratic politics;
- the (re)production of inequalities and social exclusion in authoritarian and de-democratizing regimes;
- the emergence of new forms of social solidarity in urban, domestic, and transnational contexts in times of democratic crisis.
A wide range of methodological approaches are applied and combined including qualitative, interpretive, ethnographic, participatory, as well as quantitative, bigdata based and mixed methods.
The workgroup researchers possess contextual knowledge and have access to relevant scholarly networks in Latin America, the Middle East, Turkey, and India in addition to our deep familiarity with different parts of Europe, Central and South-East Europe, and select post-Soviet states and societies.
Research agendas for 2022/23
During academic year 2022/23, the workgroup will devote specific attention to linkages between the politics of socio-economic and distributive inequalities, their intersections with other social inequality grounds, and the contestation of democracy. This will include:
- strategic profiling of the already accumulated knowledge on social inequalities enacted through gender, ethnic, racial, ability and human mobility based social hierarchies and political mechanisms. To this end, we are organizing academic discussions and events to unpack the nexus of socio-economic inequalities and political polarization, spatial processes of distributive struggles and exclusions intersecting with gender, ethnic, racial, ability and mobility based hierarchies;
- scholarly exchanges with other workgroups of the Democracy Institute. Cooperation is explored with the De(re)democratization WG in connection to the two new Horizon Europe funded democracy research projects (AUTHLIB, CCINDLE). Cooperation is ongoing with the History WG in regard to history of ideas on social justice and inclusive politics, avenues of democratization through participation, legal struggles for empowerment and disempowerment of selected social groups, among other topics.
|Andrea Krizsan||Lead Researcher / Senior Research Fellow / CEU Professor|
|Zsuzsanna Arendas||Research Affiliate|
|Abel Beremenyi||Research Affiliate|
|Andrew Cartwright||Research Fellow / CEU Associate Professor|
|Cansu Civelek||Post-doctoral Fellow|
|Cristina Corduneanu-Huci||CEU Research Affiliate / CEU Associate Professor|
|Anil Duman||CEU Research Affiliate / CEU Associate Professor|
|Olena Fedyuk||Research Affiliate|
|Anna Fejos||Junior Research Affiliate|
|Dorottya Fekete||Junior Research Affiliate|
|Roland Ferkovics||Co-Manager and Policy Officer|
|Eva Fodor||CEU Research Affiliate / CEU Professor / CEU Pro-Rector|
|Marek Hojsik||Senior Project Manager|
|Eszter Horvath||Research Assistant|
|Agnes Kende||Research Fellow|
|Vera Messing||Research Fellow|
|Gabor Petri||OSUN Post-doctoral Fellow|
|Eszter Polgari||Research Affiliate|
|Laura Rahm||Marie Sklodowska-Curie Research Fellow|
|Dorottya Redai||Research Affiliate|
|Leyla Safta-Zecheria||Research Affiliate|
|Mirjam Sagi||Post-doctoral Fellow|
|Eva Schwab||OSUN Post-doctoral Fellow|
|Bernadett Sebaly||Junior Research Affiliate|
|Julia Szalai||Senior Research Affiliate / CEU Professor|
|Dorottya Szikra||Research Fellow|
|Violetta Zentai||Senior Research Fellow / CEU Professor|